We don’t know who attackers are: Chidambaram
New Delhi (IANS) – It was not possible at this stage to identify the terrorists who exploded a bomb outside Delhi High Court Wednesday killing nine people, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said.
Chidambaram told the Lok Sabha that Delhi was a target for terrorists as it was the national capital.
Accordingly, Delhi had been put on high security alert, he said in a brief statement.
The minister said the blast left nine dead and some seriously injured.
“We are clear that there is no cause that will justify the terrorist act,” he said.
Intelligence shared with Delhi Police in July: HM on HC blast
PTI | New Delhi
With terror striking the capital again, Home Minister P Chidambaram today said intelligence about threats were shared with Delhi Police in July but contended that it would not be possible at this stage to identify the group that caused the bomb blast at High Court.
Making a statement in the Lok Sabha on the blast, he regretted that the “tragic incident” had taken place despite Delhi Police being on high alert and capacity being built to strengthen the force in the last few years.
Informing members that the case will be handed over to the National Investigative Agency (NIA), Chidambaram said government will not be intimidated by terrorist groups and was “determined to track down the perpetrators of this horrific crime and bring them to justice.”
He noted that Delhi is a target of terrorist groups and when Parliament is in session and during certain other times of the year, the capital is placed on high alert.
“Intelligence agencies constantly share intelligence inputs with Delhi Police. Intelligence pertaining to threats emanating from certain groups was shared with Delhi Police in July, 2011,” the Home Minister said.
“At this stage, it is not possible to identify the group that caused the bomb blast today,” he said about the terror strike which was the second incident at the High Court in over three months.
Observing that the objective of terrorist groups was tostrike fear and to destabilise the country, Chidambaram said, “We are clear in our mind that there is no cause that will justify terrorist acts. Government unequivocally condemns the terrorist attack that took place today.”
Making the statement with “profound sorrow and regret”, the Home Minister appealed to the House and the country that “We must remain resolute and united” at this point of time.
“We must not show any vacillation. We shall never be intimidated by terrorist groups. We are determined to track down the perpetrators of this horrific crime and bring them to justice,” he said.
“On behalf of the government, I offer my sincere condolences to the families of those who lost their lives. I offer my sympathies to those who have been injured,” he said, assuring the House that the government would extend the best medical treatment to the injured.
Giving details of the incident, he said the high intensity blast occurred at 10.14 AM just outside the reception centre of the High Court between gate no. 4 and gate no. 5.
“It is suspected that the bomb was placed in a briefcase,” Chidambaram said, adding teams from Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL), NIA and NSG rushed to the spot.
“A post blast investigation team of the Delhi Police is also carrying out investigations,” he said.
The scene of the incident was cordoned off immediately and ambulances reached the scene and removed the injured within 20 minutes, he added.