The following is an extract from 100 Roadblocks: Unblocked through the Words of Lord Krishna by Ajit Kumar Bishnoi and Anil Kumar Jha. The authors here have identified common problems afflicting mankind and tried to look for their solutions in the Bhagavad-Gita. From the chapter ‘Lack of Confidence’
Recently, a movie became quite famous. A young boy was the central figure in this movie. This boy was shown as being quite spoilt. He was bunking classes, creating mischief and was generally a problematic child. The parents were very disturbed and they kept on thinking of newer and stricter ways to punish the child in order to bring him around. This was not working and the tensions kept on increasing between the child and his parents.
Finally, the parents decided to send him to a school in a different town. The child protested vehemently but was helpless; he had to go. Once in the new school, his caretaker began to study the child for his strengths and weaknesses. He could see many shortcomings but he also spotted what the child wanted to do and was good at. This person encouraged the child to do what the child desired. Soon the child began to blossom, and even began to pay attention to his studies; he had turned the corner. He began to feel confidence in himself that he was not a failure.
Eventually this boy excelled in studies also. Such is the power of confidence; lack of which makes us failures…
What are the reasons for this shortcoming?
- Lack of ability
- Lack of application
- Absence of knowledge
- Short on training
- Absence of encouragement
- Poor health
- Too much criticism
- Adverse circumstances
What harm does lack of confidence do?
- One would be afraid to take up a challenge
- May fail repeatedly
- Others would not entrust with responsibility
- Such a person would not have confidence in others
- Shall be stricken with fear in unfamiliar circumstances
- Cannot lead
- Quality of life shall be poor
- Shall be indecisive on important matters
- Shall affect negatively the confidence of others as well
- Such a person is likely to get easily depressed
How does one develop self-confidence?
- Gain knowledge
- Develop abilities
- The realization that one is an eternal soul and can link with God, and therefore is never helpless
- Small successes build confidence
- Choose aims and targets on the basis of resources, time available and circumstances
- Pray to God
- Seek help from the right sources
- Avoid unfair criticism
- Seek company of good people
- Try to maintain good health